Tampa | Orlando | Bright House | FiOS| HDTV | Forums  

Go Back   Tampa | Orlando | Bright House | FiOS| HDTV | Forums > All-things HDTV in the Tampa Bay Area! > (Tampa) Bright House Network

Old 11-07-2011, 11:59 PM
no signal!

Default Brighthouse cable boxes questions.

I would like to know people's opinions on the different type of HD DVR cable boxes Brighthouse is currently using. I've become very frustrated with the cable boxes I've received from them. I can't pause a recording for five minutes without the sound going out and having to pull the power cord just to get it to work again. Also, using the guide is just an annoyance. I literately have to wait a second for my guide to react after hitting a button on my remote control. Exchanging boxes is also a waste of time, because every box I get has the same problems. The current box I'm using is the SA 8300HDC.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:07 AM
1080i

Hi Johndp,

Just so I'm clear you have exhanged the boxes on your own and you have received the same box model each time? Do you have multiple boxes and do they all have the same problem? Have you had a tech out recently at all about any of the above issues except the guide?
Old 11-08-2011, 05:11 PM
no signal!

Yes, yes, and yes. I called and spoke with somebody and told them the issues I was having and they told me they could send a tech out and exchange the boxes or I could come into one of their retail centers and exchange out the box myself. I got a Samsung 3270 and so far so good. The reaction time of the guide is much better. I'll update more if I have any further problems. One suggestion for anybody out there experiencing problems with their cable box. Make sure you get one of the newer Samsung models, don't let them give you the Scientific Atlanta ones. Those models should be replaced as soon as possible.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:16 PM
1080i

Alright then let me know if you need anything....
Old 01-07-2012, 12:38 PM
no signal!

Any more input from anyone, on the best/newest HD DVRs? We've had Fios for a year but are considering switching back to BH...in part due to their new iPad app. Our HOA dues include BH, and I think one reason we switched off of BH in the first place was our TiVo frustration. But, our TiVo is gone. As a new Fios customer they threw several deals our way, a few of which are expiring this month. So, we'll save at least $15.99/month if we switch back to BH. Plus they're offering a one-month credit...so it adds up to over $300 savings over the first year.

Anyway, I don't want to get stuck with a second-rate DVR, so I appreciate any input on equipment, or anything else regarding getting setup with BH again.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:00 PM
1080i

You will likely see either a Cisco or Samsung product. Both very capable HDDVR's
Old 01-24-2012, 06:22 PM
composite video still

Default Samsung 3272

Just received a Samsung 3272 HDDVR after my SA8300 crapped out. I was wondering if anyone knows how to unstretch the guide. It looks horrible!

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2012, 06:44 PM
1080i

In 3 years with this box you are the first person to say that You can't with this unit. If you want the SD guide unstretched you will need a Cisco box.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:53 PM
composite video still

Ok, thanks! I wanted the Cisco box but he didn't have any on the truck. The Samsung seems alot faster than the SA8300.

Another question: Is the 3272 a 320gb or 500gb box?

Also, what is the best output setting: 720p or 1080i? I have a 1080p tv.

Thanks....
Old 01-24-2012, 08:01 PM
1080i

Does that mean that the Samsung DVR will display a full-screen guide, even when watching an HD channel? If so, I must convince my parents to switch to one. The fact that the guide isn't full-screen on HD channels (they have an SA 8300 now), is one of the reasons that they won't use the HD channels. That, and the different channel numbers. If I can at least overcome one of their objections, I might finally be able to convince them to embrace life above channel 1000.