Tampa | Orlando | Bright House | FiOS| HDTV | Forums  

Go Back   Tampa | Orlando | Bright House | FiOS| HDTV | Forums > All-things HDTV in the Tampa Bay Area! > (Tampa) General Discussions

Old 11-10-2008, 05:27 PM
HDMI

Default How to dispose of rear projection?

I have a friend that got a new LCD tv when his 5 year old Toshiba 40" rear projection tv developed some video problems. He wants to know how to dispose of it. Any ideas?
Old 11-10-2008, 10:09 PM
1080i

My parents had a 50-inch that just bit the dust last week...must be a bad week for projection sets.

They found a TV shop that offered to buy it for parts and haul it away. They were mainly looking for a cabinet in good condition, and an original remote control. Try calling some local repair shops and see if they'll take it off your hands. Even if you only get a few bucks for it, it will save you the trouble (and potential cost??) of disposing of it yourself.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:37 PM
1080p

Thumbs up

Haul it to the dump
Old 11-11-2008, 08:17 AM
progressive out

I set mine on the curb and it disappeared in 30 minutes.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:04 AM
1080p

Quote:
Originally Posted by galbicka View Post
I set mine on the curb and it disappeared in 30 minutes.
Yes... that's a good way to get rid of big stuff...old furniture especially. I usually put a big sign on it "FREE PLEASE TAKE". I've even had one couple come to the door and ask me if they could just take it... they didn't believe their luck.

Next neighboorhood yard sale I am going to put out all my junk I am to lazy to bring to the dump and put up big signs "FREE FREE FREE... EVERYTHING MUST GO!"

BOb
Old 11-11-2008, 02:58 PM
1080p

Thumbs up

yeah, that works too but then you miss the joy of a trip to the local dump!
Old 11-12-2008, 02:41 PM
1080i

It's illegal to dispose of a CRT based television at the dump. It's considered hazardous materials because of the lead content. However, if you live in Hillsborough County you can take advantage of the county's household chemicals and electronics recycling program. See this link for drop-off dates and locations:

http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/so...mesafehome.pdf

You have to be a Hillsborough County resident and show proof of residency to use the above program. If you live in a different county, you might check with that county's solid waste disposal department to see if they have a similar recycling program or other suggestions for disposing of the television.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:58 PM
1080p

I'm in hillsborough county and the dump site operator told me to dump it in the same dumpster that all the wood and plastics go into. they also have me throw regular tube tv's in that same dumpster.

Not saying you're wrong on the law but they apparently don't care or aren't aware of that law at the CR39 dump site across the street from Alderman's Ford Park where I usually go.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:31 PM
1080i

I'll retract the statement about it being illegal to dump old CRT televisions, and instead will say that it is strongly discouraged. I tried to find out exactly what the law says, but the best I could find is the following "guidance" statement on the Florida DEP website:

-----------------------------------------------
Guidelines for Managing Discarded Electronics
http://www.dep.state.fl.us/Waste/cat...s/guidance.htm

The Florida Department of Environmental Protection strongly recommends recycling of all unwanted electronic products such as televisions, computers and cell phones. While Florida has no specific laws or regulations that apply to discarded electronic products, there are more general regulations that do apply. In a June 16, 2008 memorandum “Regulatory Guidelines for the Management of Unwanted Electronic Products,” the Department clarified the regulations that apply to unwanted electronics. These guidelines are based upon an update of a memorandum and strategy paper issued by the Department in October 1999 as well as a regulation, known as the CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) Rule, issued by the United States Environmental Protection Agency on July 28, 2006. These guidelines, along with the extensive electronics recycling infrastructure in Florida, make recycling the right choice for Florida’s citizens, businesses and institutions.
-----------------------------------------------

So, apparently, recycling of old televisions is not legally required, but is strongly recommended, or is the "right choice". Perhaps, since the solid waste site is not a dump but rather a "community collection center", it does accept televisions for subsequent recycling. I'm pretty sure, however, that the garbage trucks will not pick up a television left out with the curbside trash.

By the way, here is a Florida DEP web page from which you can get information on where to recycle televisions from any zip code or county in Florida:
http://www.dep.state.fl.us/Waste/cat...elevisions.htm