PDA

View Full Version : Direct TV reception during rainstorms

bsunbond007
04-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Due to my interest in the Sunday Ticket I am reluctantly considering jumping from Bright House to Direct TV. The reluctancy is due to my experience with DISH network 6 years ago. During heavy rainstorms (which, as everyone knows, occurs almost every afternoon during summer months), I would periodically lose my signal. Direct TV customers who I talked to at that time complained about the same thing.
Of course Direct TV says they provide 99.9 % interruption free reception.
Cable Companies say you have frequent interruptions. What say, you Direct TV subscribers?
Oh, one more thing, in case of dish or tuner failure does Direct TV replace at no cost or is the cost the customer's??

Bschneider
04-23-2009, 10:40 AM
If the dish is truly aligned properly you should see very little disruption during thunderstorms. I think I had probably a one minute disruption the last time a major thunderstorm rolled in.

Unless you have the monthly Protection Plan the turner has a 90 day warranty. If not, your out of luck.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

bdraw
04-23-2009, 03:40 PM
The newer Dishes are bigger and less susceptible to storms, but that being said if the storm is so bad you can't see the sky and it looks like it's 11pm in the middle of the afternoon, it doesn't matter how big your dish is. I've always had an antenna as a backup, not to mention a DVR full of shows to watch.

Kendo
04-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Many years ago I had DTV with a TiVo and really liked it. We used to loose service only during really bad storms and that was only for 5 minutes or so (I think 20 min was the longest ever). If found it interesting that different boxes around the house lost and regained signal at different times. The longer cable runs would go off first and be the last the return.

Conventional wisdom says that if the thunderstorm is really bad enough to loose signal, maybe your equipment should be turned off and unplugged (if not adequately protected) anyway…

Floyd
04-23-2009, 07:54 PM
My 5-LNB dish rarely goes out during rains. As was said, there has to be a lot of water in the air to block the signal enough to stop the video nowdays, and then as soon as the downpour falls through the signal path the picture returns. On rare ocasions, the thundercloud may hover in the signal path and cause a longer outage. Hurricanes and frontal rains don't seem to be a problem, since there is usually less water in the air then. Also, I think that the newer sats have more power than the old ones.

SomeRandomIdiot
04-24-2009, 02:26 AM
I agree that D* rarely goes out, however it certainly does during the heaviest parts of severe thunderstorms, but usually for less than 10-15 minutes. In contrast, cable probably goes out just as much, if not more, just not during thunderstorms. I will also say that your location in Tampa Bay also makes a major difference. If you live on the coast with very little rain, you are far less likely to experience as many outages as in Tampa proper. This shouldn't be a surprise as the sky can be sunny all day on the beach and you find that Tampa's famous Dale Mabry and Henderson has flooded from all the rain.

There are several things to consider. In the past D* used orbital positions 101W, 110W and 119W with content spread out across this 18 degree arc. It was very possible that a storm could interupt reception of say 119W while you were watching 101W and never know the service was out for several channels.

However, with the MPEG4 service, D* has concentrated at the 99W, 101W and 103W position, thus its more likely that when your service goes out due to rainfade, you will know it, as opposed to several years ago in the previous example.

Furthermore, all the D* MPEG4 service is on ka band, which, according to NASA specs, has 3x the rain fade of Ku band. In other words, the HD programming on 99W and 103W will more likely fade out (and does) before the SD channels on the 101W Ku band. This is the weakness in the D* platform from the use of ka band for HD programming.

Again, we are talking VERY VERY minore outages, but understanding why is important.

SomeRandomIdiot
04-24-2009, 02:27 AM
My 5-LNB dish rarely goes out during rains. As was said, there has to be a lot of water in the air to block the signal enough to stop the video nowdays, and then as soon as the downpour falls through the signal path the picture returns. On rare ocasions, the thundercloud may hover in the signal path and cause a longer outage. Hurricanes and frontal rains don't seem to be a problem, since there is usually less water in the air then. Also, I think that the newer sats have more power than the old ones.

Only problem is hurricanes is that the dishes begin leaving the houses at roughly 70-80 MPH :D

bdraw
04-24-2009, 10:09 AM
Only problem is hurricanes is that the dishes begin leaving the houses at roughly 70-80 MPH :D

Which might be an issue if that ever happened in Tampa. Kudos to the first person to post when the last time there were 70MPH winds in Tampa City limits. (post a link)

Jason
04-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Maybe not Tampa proper, but a lot of the area between Sarasota and Fort Myers got clobbered during the 2004 hurricane season.

The upside, is that your satellite service is restored once you realign or remount your dish. Some of the cable services were out for much longer, while they repaired their wiring.

Of course, if you lose power, none of that really matters. :)

bdraw
04-27-2009, 10:40 AM
No doubt you are correct about the surrounding areas. I guess I bring it up because my home owners policy charges me like I live somewhere that gets hit by hurricanes often, when the facts say differently.

bsunbond007
04-29-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the info everyone (Direct TV reception during rainstorms). After online research of Direct TV prices and the prospect of outages, brief as they may be, I have decided to stay with BH for now. Looks like they have gone up quite a bit in price on the Sunday Ticket. Can visit Sports Bars frequently and come out money ahead. I have had almost no outages with BH and their prices beat FIOS even though they do lag way behind in HD.

Roger 9
05-21-2009, 11:15 AM
I have a 5-LNB dish and my signal gets "lost" occasionally but there is one thing I noticed, if you switch to the SD signal it rarely gets interrupted.

As far as DirecTV and the NFL package, I don't remember too many T-boomers interrupting a game during football season. Now if the league moves the regular season back to August, it may be possible. :wink:

As far as hurricanes, unless you have an extra long coax that will rise above the clouds, everyone will lose a signal including BHN, FiOS, Comcast or whomever. And don't go to the car either. Sirius/XM will likely be gone too unless you've already driven to Oshkosh or Timbuktu. :D

Dknow
05-21-2009, 07:56 PM
"Can visit Sports Bars frequently and come out money ahead."

You and I need to talk because I need to learn how to do this............Whenever I visit sports bars I ALWAYS come out money behind!

pilotbob
05-24-2009, 06:01 PM
You and I need to talk because I need to learn how to do this............Whenever I visit sports bars I ALWAYS come out money behind!

You are supposed to bet on the team that wins!

BOb

bsunbond007
08-03-2009, 11:20 AM
So much for staying with BH. The Premier Pkg with DTV for free with Sunday Ticket Sub for $59.99 (plus $10.00 HD access) for 5 months got me. Installed
Aug 1, lost HD for 10 minutes during moderate rainstorm first evening, lost HD
Aug 2 afternoon during moderate rainstorm for 5 minutes. Getting service call
Aug 7 to check dish alignment. Well see what happens. Otherwise, great
1080i picture. BH was mostly 720p.

Regarding ( money ahead in Sports Bars), that requires one beer per quarter
and all bets are off!!

HDOrlando
08-03-2009, 01:05 PM
I think Sunday Ticket is way overpriced.

Two years from now, Direct TV people could be paying close to $450 to get all of the games in HD because of the exclusive deal.

Out of curiousity though, how is reception during hurricanes?

Dknow
08-05-2009, 06:00 AM
never lost my signal during the trio of hurricanes a few years back.

HDOrlando
08-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Good to know Dknow. All I'd have to worry about is the damn power which my family lost for a few days each after each of those hurricanes back in 2004..

Thanks!